CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 26, 2007

My little bookworms.

The truth is my children love reading stories and looking at books even if they can't read them yet.I wonder if things like reading or traits like that are hereditary or if kids just do it because they see the parents do it so much and they are conditioned by their environment to have a sort of conduct. Just like people that sing, often their kids turn out very talented in that same area, the same goes for artist or actors. Maybe because they've been exposed to it all their lives they grow up liking it, or is it just really in the genes?

I thought my husband read a lot until his dad, my father in law, moved in with us, and I was really surprised that he really, really read a lot. I use to read more and it's still one of the for me, relaxing things I enjoy doing, though I don't really have the time now.

As a teacher the love of reading is one of the best principles I can install on children.
I much rather my kids reading than watching television, the latest doesn't require any effort by your brain and the first definitely stimulates your senses.

As a last thought, balance in quantity and quality is always what makes the difference.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a bookworm myself I totally agree! I'd much rather the kids read than watch a movie or, God forbid, TV...
And not just reading on their own, but me reading aloud to them. It's been a big subject nowadays -- studies being done on the benefits of reading aloud to your children even long after they can read to themselves. Children whose parents read out loud to them did consistently better in tests for intelligence, vocabulary, verbal skills, memory, etc., than children whose reading experience was more limited or irregular.

As far as the nature or nurture debate...I think it's a bit of both. My kids don't all take after me in every area...and they might not end up all being bookworms like me, but at least by exposing them to reading a lot, they might get more into it than they would in a different environment... hopefully. :)